Join us in Orlando June 5 & 6, 2020!
With only a handful of students, we’ll have plenty of time to answer your questions to help you learn exactly what you hope to learn. Make friends. Meet colleagues. Learn alongside each other, with opportunities to stay connected.
The business of advocacy and care management will be covered from soup to nuts, as determine by you ahead of time.
See the full agenda here.
8.5 CEs for PACBoard Certification will be available.*
Whether you want to drive in or fly in, we’ll make it easy with a free shuttle from the airport, and discounted hotel rooms (subject to availability).
All sessions will be held right at the hotel.
All-inclusive price** for the Bootcamp
PLUS additional perks (including CEs) = $889.
Early Registration ends April 3.
**APHA members get $75 off.
The complete list of PERKS includes:
- Small group (Registration is closed at 12 attendees.)
- Two full days of instruction and discussion. (7 hours each day)
- All handouts and materials including copies of presentations.
- Lunches and snacks (breakfast is included with your hotel room)
- Discounts on purchases of textbooks used during the Bootcamp. (Discount code provided once registration is complete.)
- Up to 8.5 CEs for BCPA certificants*
Learn more about each perk by choosing links at right or below.
Invest in yourself.
Invest in your success!
Join us in Orlando!
Our Bootcamp Agendas include all of the following – plus so much more!
Our group will be small. Bootcamps are tailored to you and your needs, answering YOUR questions.
- Financial: capitalizing your business, budgeting and more
- Legal: choosing your formation, understanding contracts
- Insurance: understanding liability, choosing your insurance
- Ethics: understanding advocate ethics
- Pricing your services
- Conversations: talking to clients about services, asking for money, getting paid
- Assessments: pricing, what to include, how to interview, deliverables
- Time Tracking, Scope Creep
Marketing Your Practice:
- Determining your target audiences, what motivates and drives them
- Creating your messages, tailoring them to your audiences
- Marketing Best Practices
- Public Speaking
- Becoming the Expert
- Using the Web: website best practices, SEO, blogging, newsletters, and more
All sessions will be led by Trisha Torrey, author of six advocacy and healthcare related books, and executive director of The Alliance of Professional Health Advocates.
*APHA’s PracticeUP! Bootcamp is approved for 8.5 CEs by the Patient Advocate Certification Board to satisfy the requirements for Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA), of which 2.0 of the 8.5 hours satisfy the Ethics requirements for Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA).
All sessions for the PracticeUP! Orlando Bootcamp will be held at the
Embassy Suites Orlando Airport
5835 T. G. Lee Boulevard
Orlando, Florida 32822
Discounted guest rooms are available to attendees for $154/night. To take advantage of that rate, make your reservation here. (Be sure to choose the correct rate as they have added additional options to the list.) The guest room reservation deadline is May 15.
The hotel offers:
- Free shuttle from the airport
- Two-Room Suites
- Complimentary Evening Reception
- Free Made-to-Order Breakfast
- Complimentary Guest Room WiFi
- Day students (attending Bootcamps but not staying at the hotel) and overnight guests will receive discounted parking ($10/day)
- Will the Bootcamp sessions be recorded so they can be accessed later for those who cannot attend?
No, we will not record the Bootcamp sessions to share with people who cannot attend. There are two reasons we do not record them:
- One of the important benefits of attending the Bootcamps is networking with other advocates from around the US and Canada. The only way that benefit can be realized is by in-person attendance.
- Recording the sessions is very expensive. In order to afford the recording service and delivery, we would have to raise the price for the people who do attend. That does not seem fair when most people would want to listen because they didn’t attend.
If you want to learn from Bootcamp sessions, you’ll have to attend them.
- Will there be additional Bootcamps that aren't listed yet on this site?
Possibly. Rather than scheduling many Bootcamps in advance (as APHA did with workshops and summits in the past) we will schedule them only one at a time. Make sure you register for email updates to keep apprised of the next one (if there is one!)
- How can I purchase the discounted textbooks? I don't see a way to buy them on this site.
Discounted text book purchases are available once you have completed your registration. The discount is 30% off.
- How can I keep my cost of attendance to a minimum?
There are a few things you can do to be more cost effective:
- Register early to save on the registration fees.
- Instead of charging the registration fees to your credit card, you can use 0% financing at Paypal (subject to credit approval).
- Check out strategies for finding inexpensive airfare.
- If you don’t already own the textbooks we’ll be using, then you will have two options:
a. if you are an APHA member, you will be able to use the APHA purchase discount (linkable from your membership dashboard.)
b. You’ll be able to purchase the books at the PracticeUP! Discount after you have registered and paid for the Bootcamp.
Both those options are less expensive than purchasing the books at Amazon or BN.com.
- If I am not a member of APHA, do I have to pay for a membership?
No. But APHA (The Alliance of Professional Health Advocates) members do get a substantial discount on Bootcamp registration. Check out registration pricing for more details.
- Do you offer CEs (Continuing Education Units) for these events?
Yes. We offer 8.5 CEs for those who are working to maintain the BCPA certification.
- What is the dress code for the Bootcamp sessions?
Be comfortable! We expect people will be dressed in anything from business casual, to comfy jeans, to country-club chic. Tattoos and piercings optional.
- May I pay by check or money order instead of using a credit card?
Yes. If you prefer to pay by check or money order, please email us instead of filling out the registration form since it can’t be submitted without payment. We’ll capture the info we need from you and will provide you with mailing information.
Important: you must give your check time to clear. If you want to pay for Early Registration, it MUST ARRIVE BY THE EARLY REGISTRATION DEADLINE DATE or you will be assessed the additional cost of the later registration. No exceptions!
- Do you have a Refund Policy?
With that in mind, we do offer refunds that are based on how far in advance of the Bootcamp you must cancel.