… Everywhere a hacker, hacker!
And if you think you and your practice aren’t affected by hackers, there is one way you could be, without even realizing it.
Hackers are experts at getting inside website code, and they do it constantly. In fact, on any given day, among PracticeUP! websites and sister websites, hacking attempts are made hundreds of times EACH DAY.
Hackers are typically trying to accomplish a few things:
- Steal credit card information.
- Steal identity information including not just names, phone numbers, and addresses, but email addresses, passwords, and answers to security question answers (like “your mother’s maiden name”).
- Inject code into a site so the site links to malicious websites that will steal these sorts of information.
- Inject malicious code called keyloggers into a site which steal personal information from forms or purchases as they are being made.
- Change information on a site for other nefarious reasons like ruining reputations.
- … and others.
Until now, the common wisdom among those who offer websites with no forms or products to sell has been that hackers would never bother them because – what did they offer that hackers would care about?
But today, in almost 2020, that wisdom has taken a hit.